In 1821 William Smith founded a distillery on the outskirts of Thurso and named it Wolfburn after the watercourse it drew from, “burn” being the Scots word for stream or small river.
The distillery was constructed from hardy local Caithness flagstone and the remains of its foundations can still be seen today. Smith invested heavily in Wolfburn and it quickly became a significant producer of malt whisky.
The new Wolfburn distillery building is just a short walk along the burn from the old site towards the sea.
Wolfburn Distillery is the most northerly whisky distillery on mainland Scotland, the distillery along with it's staff is a huge credit to the town of Thurso.